Having a network of trusted advisors, mentors, and friends isn’t just for newbies – even CEOs need mentors too, according to an April 2015 HBR article. In fact, mentorship is so important the article authors even suggest, “…we are convinced that more CEOs should connect with mentors rather than assume that theirs is a burden to be shouldered alone.”
Whether you’re a student just about to embark on your career path, a small business owner ready to launch, an established professional about to take your game to a whole new level, or a prominent C-level executive, working with a knowledgeable, trustworthy advisor can mean the difference between keeping things at status quo – or ascending to new heights of success and accomplishment.
Here are five reasons why you might choose to work with a wise mentor:
- You need advice and an unbiased perspective. When you’re very close to a situation, it’s easy to become so wrapped up in it that you lose sight of any clear perspective. Enter a trusted mentor. He or she can offer you unbiased advice gleaned from years of real-life experience. Unlike the advice you receive from your family, friends, and close colleagues, your mentor is there to provide third-party guidance free of judgements or preconceived ideas about who you are.
- You need a sounding board. Being able to talk to someone in complete confidence is incredibly beneficial. Trust in a mentoring relationship is so critical, some CEOs are driven to seek counsel from experienced “outsiders” as opposed to mentors within the organization, according to the HBR article. It’s not just about venting – you can work with your mentor to get to the bottom of your frustration – then develop ways to solve the issues you’re facing.
- You need confidence. If you’ve been following my blog for any length of time, you probably know how critical I feel it is to have confidence. Working with a trusted mentor can help you gain the confidence you need in a myriad of ways. You can build the confidence necessary to make tough decisions, and you might begin to see yourself from a new, more confident perspective, enabling you to speak up for what you believe in and stand your ground in challenging situations.
- You need strategies and inspiration. Forbes.com contributor Sujan Patel shares how easy it is to fall into the “I’m on-top-of-the-world and know everything there is to know” trap. Moreover, he asserts, it’s “even easier to feel too afraid or proud to ask for help”. If you need strategies for climbing to the next level, or you’ve just hit a roadblock in your business, reaching out to someone you can trust will impact your business – and maybe even your life – in ways you never imagined.
- You need to build new relationships or strengthen existing ones. Patel also explains how his decision to set his ego aside and reach out to a few mentors has helped him form several ongoing relationships that still exist even after a decade of success and experience. Mentor-mentee relationships can result in continuing collaborations throughout your career, which also benefits you by creating a consistent stream of resources vital to continued growth.
No matter what path you’re on in life, you’ll benefit from working with a trusted advisor who can help you develop the skills you need to advance, give you unbiased advice, build relationships, and so much more.
Do you want to learn more about how greater confidence can change your perspectives – and your life? Don’t miss my FREE confidence e-series! Sign up here, or connect with me anytime!
Images courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net
Colleen Slaughter, Proud Executive Coach to the UN World Food Program, the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As an Executive Coach for Women in Leadership and Transformational Facilitator, my intention is to help leaders in positions of high influence to understand their worth at a profound level.
Supporting women leaders to truly thrive and step into their greatness, while succeeding in male-dominated industries and spaces is my native genius.
My technique and approach show you how to achieve incredible career success without compromising any part of who you are and what makes you magnificent.