“My new normal is to continually get used to new normals.”
The “new normal.”
Everyone is talking about it.
But does any sense of “normal” even exist anymore?
Perhaps the deeper, more important question might be:
How do we begin to accelerate in life and work – while staying intentional about what we focus on and why?
Leaders Are Facing Historic, Unprecedented Times
2020 has been described as unprecedented in our recent history, filled with tumultuous events and widespread uncertainty. Understandably, many of us are wondering exactly how we can move forward in the face of what seems to be continued instability.
“The future is not what we thought it would be only a few short months ago,” asserts a recent McKinsey & Company article.
With our visions of the future changing so much – and so fast – many of us are asking how to start moving forward again while remaining aligned with key values and true to our authentic cores.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer – and we may even find that personally (and professionally) the elusive answer shifts as rapidly as these extraordinary times.
Some suggestions gleaned from reading McKinsey authors Kevin Sneader and Shubham Singhal:
- Don’t get caught in the trap of thinking (or hoping) that things will magically return to normal. We can never go back to the “old” normal.
- Emphasize best practices encompassing collaboration, flexibility, inclusion, and accountability – all particularly crucial in today’s times.
- Focus on leadership and strong alliances with strategic partners to start architecting a stronger future today.
Easy Does It, One Step at a Time
In our own lives, perhaps the best advice I can share is to simply keep going forward, one gentle step at a time, at a pace that feels comfortable for you and yet also slightly uncomfortable (so that you are also in the learning zone).
Many of us have been finding these last few months have been an ideal time to get grounded and to reflect on what in our lives is working well…and what is not.
For me, this process has not always been easy – in fact, it’s been downright painful at times. We can all probably relate on some level.
It’s often said that change never feels great during the process – only once it’s done. Yet change is an essential part of growth in our lives – as leaders and as human beings.
3 Practical Tips to Keep Moving Forward in Leadership (& Life)
- Re-evaluate your values. Now is a great time to think about what matters most. We might consider how our values have changed in response to everything that’s been happening on a global, collective level. Contemplate how your own values have shifted from what they were a year ago, or even as recent as six months prior.
- Stay agile to flex with the times. Given the rapidly evolving, very tumultuous times we all find ourselves living in, it’s easy to feel stuck when it comes to moving forward with our goals. Try organizing your vision – and when you do, look out for these common goal-setting mistakes. Just because the outlook for the future has changed doesn’t mean we can’t still pursue our ambitions.
- Be inspired by others. Scroll through social media or any major news network, and it can quickly become a challenge to find any good news. Yet, we have a powerful choice to make. Choose to seek out (and be motivated) by the good that is present all around us. So many people are overcoming seemingly insurmountable adversities every single day in innovative, creative ways.
Together, we can move forward & rise above – one BOLD baby step at a time. Because in the words of the infamous quote:
If not now, when? If not me, then who?
Ignite your leadership game and get the burst of inspiration you need to thrive in these “new” times – sign up for my Bold Moves of the Week, delivered fresh every Tuesday to your inbox (and they’re completely free)!
Colleen Slaughter, Proud Executive Coach to the UN World Food Program, the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As an Executive Coach for Women in Leadership and Transformational Facilitator, my intention is to help leaders in positions of high influence to understand their worth at a profound level.
Supporting women leaders to truly thrive and step into their greatness, while succeeding in male-dominated industries and spaces is my native genius.
My technique and approach show you how to achieve incredible career success without compromising any part of who you are and what makes you magnificent.